Hello CERID,

Happy Holiday Season!

With the weather cooling down and heaters turning on, it's a good time to check your carbon monoxide detector and follow these tips:

  • Have your heating systems and any gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a technician annually.
  • Never let a car idle in the garage.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly.
  • Never use a gas oven for heating.
  • Never use a generator inside your home or less than 20 feet from windows, doors, and vents.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned annually

Hemoglobin is made up of four heme units, which under normal circumstances transport oxygen throughout the body. Carbon monoxide has a much higher affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen however, resulting in decreased oxygen levels throughout the body.
Symptoms of low to moderate carbon monoxide exposure include: headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness.
High carbon monoxide exposure can result in: mental confusion, vomiting, loss of coordination, loss of consciousness, and death.

Molecular structure of carboxyhemoglobin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Learn more about carbon monoxide safety from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by clicking on the image.

Getting Rid of Unused Chemicals

Don't wait for chemicals to expire! There are multiple options to get rid of unused chemicals before they go to waste.

  • Post on the UW Medicine SLU List Serv: slu@u.washington.edu
  • Put the chemicals on the Chemical Exchange through MyChem
  • Ask other researchers if they could use them
  • If the chemicals have expired or deteriorated, have them picked up by EH&S by completing a Chemical Collection Request

University of Washington Environmental Health and Safety MyChem Logo

 

 

 

 

 

Have a safe and happy holiday season and New Year!
CERID Safety Team