Emergency Washing Equipment
Emergency washing equipment (EWE) needs to be maintained on a regular basis to ensure proper function and compliance with regulations.
Labs are responsible for the following regarding EWE:
- Eye wash and safety showers must be free from obstructions. Do not store physical, chemical, or biological hazards in sinks with eye wash stations!
- Eye wash stations must be tested on a weekly basis. Keep a log by the station and initial when tested. Note that hallway eyewash stations drain onto the floor! Place a bucket and spill pads beneath when testing these stations.
- Facility staff check safety showers annually. Lab staff should NOT test safety showers.
- Path of travel to EWE should be free from obstructions
- Ensure that new employees know the location of the nearest EWE as well as how to test and operate EWE.
Text-to-911 Now Available in King County
Call if you can. Text if you can't.
King County, along with eleven other Washington counties, now accept text messages to 911. This service benefits those that are unable to speak during emergency situations, such as a home invasion or abusive partner, as well as those that are hearing and/or speech impaired. You should always call 911 if you can, as you will be able to provide information more quickly than over text. Here's what you need to know about this new service:
- To text 911, open your text messaging program, enter "911" in the recipient field. In the body of the message, include the exact location of the emergency including the city, and the type help needed (police, fire, or medical) and press send. Operators may follow up with additional questions.
- If you are texting 911 in order to not be heard, be sure to silence your phone.
- Do not include other recipients, as a group message will cause the message not to go through.
- Interpreters are not available for text at this time. Only use plain english and do not use abbreviations or acronyms.
- Photos and videos cannot be sent.
- If Text-to-911 is unavailable in your area or the message otherwise does not go through, you should receive an alert message.
- Text-to-911 is not available while roaming.
For more detailed information, head to Washington Emergency Management Division.
CERID Safety Team