Welcome to the new CERID Safety Team News Letter!
September is National Preparedness Month.
Emergency preparedness starts at the individual level. Learn more about how you can be better prepared for any disaster at ready.gov
- Week 1: September 1-8 Make and Practice Your Plan
- Week 2: September 9-15 Learn Life Saving Skills
- Week 3: September 16-22 Check Your Coverage
- Week 4: September 23-29 Save For an Emergency
Is Your Chemical Waste Hazardous?
- Flammable (Flashpoint <60C)
- Corrosive (pH <5.5 or >12)
- Toxic (Equivalent Concentration ≥0.001%)
- Persistent (Halogenated Organic Compounds > 0.01% or Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons >1%)
If your waste falls into any of the categories above, it needs to be handled as hazardous waste or treated prior to disposal. For a full list of guidelines, refer to Section 3 of the Laboratory Safety Manual.
2018 marks 100 years since the 1918 influenza pandemic.
The outbreak killed an estimated 50 to 100 million people. Read about the history of the pandemic and the steps that have been taken since, to prepare for future pandemics in the CDC Feature Remembering the 1918 Influenza Pandemic.
The new CERID Website is in the works. When it is up and running, safety information will be found in the Research folder.
CERID Safety Team